System 4… the only choice for those who know the difference
More than 30 years have passed since Biodex introduced the world's first multi-mode computerized robotic dynamometer.
That event and subsequent "firsts" have made the Biodex dynamometer the choice in the most distinguished clinics and research facilities around the world.
Sports and orthopedic medicine, pediatric medicine, neurorehabilitation, older adult medicine, industrial medicine, and researchers depend on Biodex to provide consistent, accurate, objective data. Objective data that provides the best outcome for their patients... objective data that supports their research... objective data that separates their facility from the rest.
Biodex Objective Data
Communicate need, progress and outcome
Biodex Objective Data helps you communicate need, progress and outcome clearly and accurately. Easy to read and interpret color graphic reports are produced with normative data. Graphic reports and narrative letters compare patient's status to normative data for all joints. Data legends and on-screen editing helps communicate the information in simple terms for patients, doctors, third party payers and employers.
Accuracy and Reliability
The Biodex System 4 offers a level of performance, accuracy, and safety that remains unmatched. Not surprisingly, Biodex equipment marks the highest correlation coefficients for reliability, accuracy, validity and repeatability - another reason why so many clinicians put their trust in Biodex.
Our employees strive to keep Biodex at the forefront in innovation, effectiveness, efficiency and reliability. That's why so many world class facilities depend on Biodex.
The System 4 offers benefits for unparalled testing, training & treatment:
NEW ADVANTAGE SOFTWARE FEATURES
- Enhanced Data Export Utility allows users to download all patient test information at one time, including both calculated and raw data.
- Exported Data Parser makes it simple to convert .csv files into a report format.
- Expanded and updated isokinetic normative data is available for multiple joints, including data from pediatric through adults, ages 5 - 83.
- Features six modes of operation
- Allows for six phases of rehabilitation
- Advantage Software
- Touch-screen for quick easy operation
- Activity-specific Work Simulation Exercises
- Seat design accommodates athlete to pediatric applications
- Requires only 64 sq-ft of operating space
- Excellent after-sale support, installation and continuing education programs
Versatility and marketability
System 4 is dependable and versatile – providing the means to take on new challenges and be adaptable to keep pace with progressive thinking and innovation.
Sports and Orthopedic Medicine
The System 4 ensures that you provide the best outcomes for shoulder dysfunction, knee osteoarthritis, lateral ankle sprains, patellofemoral dysfunction and anterior cruciate ligament. Other capabilities include preseason screening, injury prevention and athletic performance enhancement.
Used to treat children worldwide, Isokinetic muscle testing helps clinicians by providing objective data for neuromuscular control and strength. Pediatric attachments and age-based normative data are available. View normative data for quadriceps and hamstrings in children ages 6-13 years.
For the management of persons with movement disorders, neurologic pathologies, or general deconditioning; an Integrated Protocol Using Instrument. The system helps patients build strength, endurance and coordination. Spasticity management includes objective quantification at specific contraction. Use Passive mode for repetitive exercises. Eccentric mode is useful for controlled strengthening.
Used in over 1,000 published studies, the system allows the user to conduct complete neuromuscular evaluation. Provides real-time analog voltage output of torque, position and velocity from the dynamometer. Perfect for integration with EMG devices. Through the use of the Researcher’s Tool Kit, the advanced user has the ability to control the dynamometer with a position-based pattern.
Many employers are now using Functional Capacity Evaluations (FCEs) as part of new hire employment screening and return to work decision process as a way to minimize the expense of treating workplace injuries, decrease employee time lost from work and reduce medical claims. A critical component to the Functional Capacity Evaluation (FCE), is the Biodex System 4, a progressive and innovative tool that provides an objective measure of an individual's safe maximum physical capability to perform work. The FCE evaluation process is designed to measure the individual's current level of function within the context of the physical demands of employment.
The Biodex Fall Risk Screening & Conditioning Program is the only fall program that incorporates a complete array of objective tests. Strength is a critical factor for a rapid response to a balance disturbance. Isokinetic testing on the System 4 will identify weakness; exercise will improve ankle and leg strength.
Combine the art and science of rehabilitation
Based on accepted science, backed by independent studies, supported by clinical protocols and normative data
Featuring six modes of operation, the Biodex System 4 continues to offer pioneering breakthroughs in neuromuscular testing and rehabilitative technology. Biodex assessments of physical impairments provides patients a fast, effective, documented return to function. The Biodex System 4 is unusually sensitive to your patient's limits. Progressive and interactive features keep you in complete control. Dynamic and static muscle loading environments provide unlimited combinations of technique and application.
Isokinetic Resistance Mode
- The Isokinetic Resistance mode for testing and rehabilitation is totally accommodating throughout the entire range of motion. Biodex's unique impact-free acceleration and deceleration eliminates joint trauma, allowing patients to exercise and be tested at more functional speeds. Resistance continuously matches effort, accommodating to variations in patient force output due to weakness, pain or fatigue at specific points in the individual's range of motion.
- Research along with over 30 years of clinical application has demonstrated that isokinetic resistance is a safe, objective means to quantify physical impairments with a high correlation to function. Isokinetic testing is the standard for muscle and joint assessment.
- Applied torque response ensures that the patient's limb velocity increases or decreases in proportion to the torque applied during acceleration and deceleration, enabling neuromuscular control measurements.
- Choose concentric and eccentric contractions to perform isolated polymetric exercises.
- Concentric torque up to 500 ft-lb (680 Nm) and eccentric torque up to 400 ft-lb (542 Nm) accommodates the demands of high performance athletes and sports medicine researchers.
Reactive Eccentric Mode
- The Reactive Eccentric mode for submaximal neuromuscular re-education in the early phases of rehabilitation
- The System 4 responds only to the patient's force output. To initiate movement, the patient must produce and maintain a pre-determined minimum amount of force. This loads the muscles surrounding the joint, producing a pre- load, thus stabilizing and protecting the joint.
- Eccentric torque up to 400 ft-lb (542 Nm)
- Accommodates the demands of today's athletes and sports medicine researchers.
Passive Motion Mode
- The Passive Motion mode is a multi-function modality. Unique control properties allow for early intervention in all patients throughout all phases of rehabilitation.
- Torque limits can be set as low as .5 ft-lb (.7 Nm). If a torque limit is exceeded during an eccentric contraction, the System stops. Once the patient's torque output drops below the prescribed limit, movement is allowed. This unique capability allows patients to work safely at definitively prescribed sub-maximal force levels while combining isometric, concentric and eccentric contractions for:
- decreasing joint effusion
- increasing range of motion
- developing strength
- Passive speeds can be set as low as .25 degree per second and as fast as 300 degrees per second. The very slow speeds allow for overcoming the natural stretch reflex. Ideal for proprioceptive testing in early stages of rehabilitation.
- Biodex software includes specific protocols for active and passive joint repositioning.
- Higher speeds in passive mode are ideal for active assistive exercise.
- The Isometric mode is commonly used pre and post operatively or when pain associated with motion is a factor. Isometric contractions are effective at developing strength and decreasing joint effusion while avoiding painful points in the range of motion.
- Biodex software automates the rehab process with automated multiple angle isometric protocols. Work the agonist, antagonist or both muscles at specified joint angles.
- The Isotonic mode allows velocity to vary while providing inertia-free constant force and concentric or eccentric muscular contractions.
- Higher performance:
- Isotonic force to as low as .5 ft-lb (.7 Nm) = 6 inch pound; and as high as 400 ft-lb (542 Nm)
- Allows for functional task simulation when using work simulation tools, e.g. turning a doorknob.
- Because the force is selected, the Isotonic mode also provides protective pre-loading of the joint prior to movement.
- Ideal for work simulation. Constant force muscle loading is considered functional, as natural activities normally involve moving a constant weight object at varying velocities.
Enjoy complete freedom in planning the mode and level of clinician interaction that works best for each patient. Touch panel controls give clinicians the hands-on ability to adjust torque, speed, range of motion and other clinical parameters in real time.
The Biodex System 4 also allows clinicians the option to select automated test and exercise sessions. Any sequence of modes can be employed automatically.
Customized Motor Control
The Researcher's Tool Kit Software (optional) allows for advanced specialized system control. Ideal for researchers investigating neuromuscular performance.
- Ability to apply position based customized motor control and data export..
- Export Data Parser produces .csv files with preformatted header.
System 4 Pro Patient Positioning System with motorized seat height, front-to-back chair adjustment, fully assisted dynamometer height adjustment, and side-to-side adjustment.
System 4 Pro:
Touch screen interface for quick, easy multi-mode operation; isokinetic,
isometric, isotonic, reactive eccentric and passive
- Concentric speed up to 500 deg/sec
- Eccentric speed up to 300 deg/sec
- Concentric torque up to 500 ft-lb (680 Nm)
- Eccentric torque up to 400 ft-lb (544 Nm)
- Passive speed as low as .25 deg/sec
- Passive torque as low as .5 ft-lb
- Isotonic torque as low as .5 ft-lb
Clinical Data Station:
- Windows® Operating System
- Biodex Advantage Software
- LCD Flat Panel Touch-Screen Color Monitor with integrated Speakers
- Color Printer
- Ankle, knee, shoulder, elbow, wrist and hip
- Attachment cart
- Calibration kit
- Manuals and wall chart
- 64 square feet operating space (6 square meters)
ETL and cETL listed to UL 60601-1, CAN/CSA C22.2 No.: 601-1-M90 and EN 60601-1,
CE conformity to M.D.D. 93/42/EEC*
*When sold complete with computer, monitor and printer.
Options to S4 Pro:
- Dual Position Back Extension/Flexion Attachment
- Closed Kinetic Chain Attachment
- Work Simulation Tools
- Anti-Shear Attachments
- Pediatric Attachments
- Wide Seat
- EMG Analog Signal Access Utility
- Pediatric Attachments
- Researcher's Tool Kit
Site Plan for the System 4 Pro
Total operating floor space required: 64 sq ft (6 sq m)
To order, call 1-800-224-6339
|System 4 Pro
||Call for Pricing
||System 4 Quick-Set
|| Call for Pricing
Export models available.
||Attachment, Back, Dual Position Ex/Flex
Includes docking clamp for PRO configuration
Attachment, Back, Docking Clamp, Quick-Set
Use with Quick-Set configuration. Order docking clamp with 830-450.
||Attachment, Closed Chain
||Attachment, Work Simulation Tools
||Ankle Attachment for System 3 and 4 units
||Ankle Attachment for System 2 units
||Shoulder Input Tube
||Attachment, Anti-Shear, Left Pivot
||Attachment, Anti-Shear, Right Pivot
||Attachment, Pediatric Left Knee
||Attachment, Pediatric Right Knee
||Attachment, Pediatric Shoulder
||Attachment, Pediatric Hip
||Attachment, Seat Back Brace
||Isomap Graphical Imaging Software
||Interface Kit, EMG
For REV 2 systems shipped prior to 2/01/05. Kit Includes cable and software.
For REV 2 systems produced after 2/01/05 and System 4. These units have a pre-connected cable.
||Software Package, Researcher's Tool Kit
Request More Information
Conditions of Purchase